We have made Achieveit as intuitive as possible for our users to easily conceptualize, build, maintain and report on their strategic and operational plans. As a Full Access user, you have the ability to create and manage plans in AchieveIt. This Quick Start Guide will walk you through the basics of how to get started.
Step 1: Create a New Plan
It's very easy to create a new plan in AchieveIt. To get started, click the Plans drop-down menu in your top navigation bar. Then click Create a New Plan.
Once you have clicked on the 'Create a Plan' button, the 'Create Plan' screen will appear:
Enter some basic plan information to get started (Required Fields denoted are in Bold):
- Title – the name you'd like your plan to have, which will be displayed throughout the system and on reports.
- Start Date – select a start date for your plan by typing the date or by clicking the calendar icon to the right and using the date selector.
- Due Date – select an end date for your plan by typing the date or by clicking the calendar icon to the right. Note: if you select a start date, a due date will be required in order to continue.
- Plan Administrator(s) – those users who will be able to add and build content to the plan. Only Full Access users can be administrators.
- Plan State
- Active – Plans will begin to immediately send out email alerts and notifications to the team members tied to the plan.
- Inactive – Plans will not yet send out email alerts and notifications.
On the right-hand side of the plan creation page is a section named 'Plan Levels.' This is where you can customize your plan structure names and add as many or as few levels as you like.
NOTE: Goal, Milestone, and Assignment are the default level names that will always appear on the Create page. You can customize the existing names by overwriting them with your own unique terms, add more levels by clicking the 'Add Level' button or delete levels by clicking the 'X' icon next to each level.
Click the “Create Plan” button, and you will be redirected to the Tree View.
Step 2: Manage Levels in the Item Library
The Item Library allows users to understand the hierarchy of the plan. Every plan can be structured with as many or as few levels as needed and terminology can be customized to fit your organization.
To add a new level to your plan, locate the Item Library and click the '+' button.
After you have clicked the '+' or pencil button, the 'Add Level' pop-up window will appear. Enter your custom level name and click Save.
After saving your 'Level Name' the new level will appear at the bottom of your 'Item Library' list.
You can edit any level name by clicking the pencil icon to the right of each name. If you need to change the order of your plan levels, hold down on the level you'd like to move with your mouse, then drag and drop the level into the order of your choosing.
Step 3: Create Plan Items
Now you can create items to build out your plan. There are two ways that you can begin to build out your plan on Tree View:
1) Click and hold a Level from the Item Library, then drag it onto an existing item (such as the top plan card). The plan item's card will highlight in blue. Release your mouse and the 'Add Plan Item' menu will appear, allowing you to create the item.
2) Click the '+' in the bottom right-hand corner of any existing plan item, such as the top plan card.
Once you have created a new item by either method the 'Add Plan Item' menu will appear.
Required Fields will be listed to the left, such as:
- Plan Item Name – Title of the plan item
- Initial Status – will be Not Started by default, but a status can be selected from the creation page
- Aligns To – this will be automatically populated with the name of the item that you are building under, but can be edited by clicking into the drop-down menu.
- Level - this will be automatically populated based on the plan levels you have created, but can be edited by clicking into the drop-down menu
If you have additional information about your item, you can go ahead and fill in the additional information fields to the right. For the highest rates of success and execution, AchieveIt always recommends completing the following information:
- Assigned To ‐ click into the drop-down menu to select the person you wish to assign to the item. The Assigned User will receive progress update requests once your plan is Active.
- 'Start' and 'Due' Dates - type or click the calendar icon to select appropriate dates for when this work will take place.
- Update Frequency - click into the drop-down menu to select the appropriate reporting frequency for this item. You can select from: Daily, Weekly, Bi-Weekly, Monthly or Quarterly
See the Plan Item Card Overview article for details about all of the additional information that can be tracked for any plan item in AchieveIt.
The below diagram describes all of the icons and the areas of a plan card:
Step 4. Create a Metric
You can track a quantifiable outcome as a metric for any item within your plan. To activate a metric on a plan item, locate the plan item from any view and bring up the plan item's details. Click the blue 'Create Metric' button.
Complete a few fields of information to begin tracking a metric for your plan:
- Metric Unit: a dollar amount, a percentage, or a number
- Tracking Success: how you would like to track and visualize success for this metric. You can track: maintain between a baseline and target, stay above or below a baseline, or move from a baseline to a target value. Once selected, make sure to input your custom baseline and target values.
- Metric Calculation: select whether the metric will be provided by the Assigned User with regular progress updates, or calculated automatically based upon other items' metric values.
- Initial Value: Make sure to provide an initial starting value for your metric.
Additionally, if you would like to understand more about the roles you can play in your AchieveIt account as a Full Access User, see the Understanding User Types and Permissions article.